Selector Switch & Volume ControlNeurochrome
The Selector Switch & Volume Control is a two-part circuit board intended for use with the Input Selector. It is sold as a panel and consists of two boards separated by a V-score:
- Volume Control: A simple volume control board that supports the use of an ALPS RK271-series "Blue Velvet" potentiometer. The connections to the volume pot are provided on a gold-plated, 10-pin connector. The routing is optimized for high signal integrity, including excellent channel separation.
- Selector Switch: This board is intended for use with the C&K and Lorlin brand rotary switches. The Selector Switch allows for up to six settings on the rotary switch, but many DIYers will want to customize the number of settings. Thus, I have designed the Selector Switch to allow for three to six positions on the rotary switch, while maintaining a symmetrical layout of the switch and the indicator LEDs. This allows for an aesthetically pleasing front panel design.
The design documentation for this circuit board includes a drill template. Using the template will ensure the correct location of the switch and LEDs for configurations with 3, 4, 5, or 6 indicator LEDs.
To separate the two boards in the panel, simply snap the panel along the V-score.
The features of the Selector Switch are listed below.
- Max. number of switch settings configured by wire links.
- Supported switch settings: 3 – 6.
- Indicator LEDs placed at 25.4 mm (1.0") from switch centre with option for placement 38.1 mm (1.5") from switch centre as well.
- Indicator LEDs are arranged symmetrically for all four supported switch configurations for best aesthetics.
- Intended for mounting by the switch threads, though, mounting holes are provided as well.
- Gold plated PCB. Made in Canada.
The features of the Volume Control PCB are shown below.
- PCB optimized for use with the ALPS RK271-series "Blue Velvet" volume pot.
- Routing optimized for high signal integrity.
- Separate ground plane for left and right channels for best channel separation.
- Connector pinout optimized for high signal integrity, including high channel separation.
- Gold plated PCB. Made in Canada
The parts budget for these two circuits is approximately $44 with the majority of this cost consumed by the ALPS volume pot ($19) and the rotary switch ($16).
The specifications for the Selector Switch are listed below.
|Number of switch positions||3 – 6||Configured by jumper option|
|Power Supply Voltage||5.0 V|
|Power Supply Current||3 mA|
|Assembled Dimensions||58 × 37 × 34 mm||Not including switch shaft|
|Assembled Weight||32 g|
The specifications for the Volume Control PCB are tabulated below.
|Assembled Dimensions||28 × 37 × 38 mm||Not including potentiometer shaft|
|Assembled Weight||40 g|